Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Initial thoughts...

Initially, I was very excited for this project. I love to use my imagination to create amazing works. Now, I am a bit more worried.

I decided to work alone because I am a socially awkward teen that does not work efficiently in a group. I like to do everything myself and take control, yet I am too shy to voice my opinions to others. This was actually very awkward as I had to turn someone down who wanted a partner but...oh well.

Anyway, I expected to have this project in the bag, even if I have absolutely no prior experience with producing films. I figured I would simply pull from my other skills. Filming process? A breeze. I've been in photography since freshman year. Editing? No problem. I've been making video edits since sixth grade. Script writing? Easy. I've been a writer for almost ten years. 

Now that I've thought about it a bit harder, I realize that perhaps I am not as well off as I previously thought. All of my assets are slightly off the mark from where I need them to be. For example, I know how to create beautiful shots, yet I have no knowledge on how to move the camera in an effective way. I know how to edit, but not in a way that utilizes sound effects or sound techniques. I know how to write very well, but all of my dialogue is stale; I am very bad at producing authentic sounding conversations. At least now that I understand my faults, I know where I need to do the most research.

My next step is to do some more research with genre. I don't have an exact idea of what I want to do for my film opening, but I know I need to create something within my wheelhouse. 

Possible plots include:
- experiences with the guitar, writing, drawing, or photography
- experiences with abuse relating to love/relationships
- experiences with being a queer teenager
- experiences with being a person of color/mixed person
- experiences with living in a suburban town

Right now, I am leaning towards representing an abusive teenage relationship, so I will do more research on the coming of age and drama genres. If I change my mind, you guys will be the first to know. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

My documentary package, Courageous Creativity, focuses on queer artists. I did a lot of research in and out of class in order to create my p...