Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Music Marketing Reflections!

 In my last blog, I discussed the initial hardships of this project. Now that the assignment is completed and submitted, I will be looking back at the overview of my experience while creating DeeNah.

For the production, it was quite difficult to figure out how to coordinate plans with my group in a way that was compatible with everyone's individual schedules, especially since most of my group had jobs and extracurriculars to attend. To problem solve, we decided that it would be easier for only the required group members that would film and act to show up for the music video filming. Since I worked on the entire storyboard and research chart by myself, I was not involved in the music video filming process. From my understanding, my other group members chose to film at town center on two separate days. 

For post production, I was not very involved with this process either, as editing was assigned to another member of my group. In class, though, we discussed what type of editing techniques could be used to better portray the story. One thing we decided on was to add filters as a way to make the film more engaging to the audience and relate to the common Internet culture of using "aesthetic" filters. 



Ex. of a filter used in the music video

The presentation was an aspect of the project that I was heavily involved in. I developed most of the marketing and distribution techniques, as well as the rest of the Canva slides. From my research, I knew that DeeNah needed a social media presence before trying to develop any kind of of following in the music industry. Because of this, I envisioned her as a young Tik Tok star. While this would definitely sell, I thought that it was boring and overused. I wanted to give her a passion that made her relatable to the younger generation, while simultaneously developing a personality that is often not seen in other social media celebrities. I figured that environmental concerns would be an interesting route to go down, seeing as climate change advocacy has been skyrocketing in recent years, especially among our target audience (younger adults and teenagers). If DeeNah was a social media star that used her platform and musical ability to promote change, she would be more respectable as a role model for younger girls. 

Another common marketing technique used in the modern day and age is collaboration. Most songs on the radio, especially from up and coming artists, are singles that usually feature another artist. On social media as well, collaboration is a very common tool meant to reel in audiences from both content creators. I envisioned that once DeeNah gained traction, she would collaborate with other artists her age who had similar followings in order to pull more attention to her song. If that plan also incorporated promoting environmentally friendly content, it could blow her up even more. 



Ex. of DeeNah's Twitter account


Her social media was mostly created and handled by another group member, but on her social media accounts, I planned for her to be very active and headstrong about her opinions. This would be mostly where her fans would get to know her and interact with her, as well as understand what she stood for. For her performances, we decided that we would have her perform as a very low level artist at Coachella after initially gaining traction. Once this took off, we would have her go on a nationwide tour to major cities. 


Ex. of DeeNah performances


Another thing that I thought could help DeeNah gain traction would be to go for brand deals that could easily be marketed to younger girls. With the help of another group member, this came in the form of a stationary set from Office Depot, and a pink drink with a paper straw from Starbucks. A way I thought I could make this more unique and market it in a better light would be to have 50% of the profits go towards Friends of the Earth, a charity geared towards being ecologically friendly. I thought this would also raise her reputation as well. 


Ex. of Starbucks brand deal

For distribution, I knew that every other group would be using online methods to distribute their song, and I knew this would be the smartest decision for us as well. To add something more to ours, I decided to also release a vinyl that would be pink, sparkly, and in the shape of a heart. This would relate to DeeNah's brand and song while also being easily marketed towards the target audience. Among the younger generation, aesthetics are very important and by creating a product that would be considered as such, we could pull more attention to our artist. 


Ex. of the DeeNah vinyl


Something that this project taught me was that I am extremely terrible at working with others when I do not know them. I felt way too shy and insecure to voice my opinions openly on what I thought should be done, and instead tended to just agree with what other people suggested even if I didn't particularly like the idea. This went hand in hand with my lack of ability to ask for help or reprimand those that were not contributing at all. Instead, I simply picked up all of the slack from the members that did not help. I felt too embarrassed to be the only one trying to be productive in class, so I would quietly do the work and not act as a leader in the slightest. I also felt very controlling during this project, as I had a very specific idea of DeeNah in mind that my group members did not seem to share. I felt very anxious during the presentation every time a group member would share information about our artist that did not align with my idea of her. This was very eye-opening for me, as now I know I have to put effort into being more verbal when working with others and not try to do all of the tasks myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

My documentary package, Courageous Creativity, focuses on queer artists. I did a lot of research in and out of class in order to create my p...