Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Dialogue Research!

In my research, I have found numerous ways on how to make dialogue sound normal. Here are some of the tips and tricks that I came across.

One thing I found is that it is important to mix dialogue with narration. Long runs of dialogue can dislodge the reader from the action of a scene, so make sure you interspersed it with descriptions of the actors' physical postures and other stimuli.

Knowing how to punctuate my dialogue can ensure that my reader stays immersed in the story. Remember that question marks and exclamation points go inside quotation marks. Enclose dialogue in double quotation marks and use single quotation marks when a character quotes another character within their dialogue.

I also need to use dialogue tags that are evocative. Repeating the word "said" over and over can make for dull writing and miss out on opportunities for added expressiveness. I should consider replacing it with a more descriptive verb instead.

When writing a script, it's essential that I know my characters in depth. I must try to portray dialectal differences between my characters or peculiarities in their diction. Readers will find it exhausting to read a book loaded with misspelled sentences or undecipherable words.

My dialogue will flow better if I choose short sentences over long sentences, and do not always include the verb after the intervention of a character. I must be concise, be dynamic, and keep up the pace of my story.

When I write the dialogue, I will try to play the role of your characters and perform their conversations out loud to see how it sounds.

Interruptions are a also good way to make it realistic and dynamic. I will insert questions and comments in my dialogue to make the conversation more fluent.

The dialogue must also transmit the life inside my characters, such as their mood, the way they change their mind, and their reactions when they feel happy, undecided, angry, or annoyed, etc. 

Also, I will not info dump!!!!

That's all, see you guys next time!

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/strategies-for-improving-dialogue-in-your-writing#8-writing-tips-for-improving-dialogue

https://www.liternauts.com/ten-keys-to-write-effective-dialogue/

https://nybookeditors.com/2017/05/your-guide-to-writing-better-dialogue/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

My documentary package, Courageous Creativity, focuses on queer artists. I did a lot of research in and out of class in order to create my p...