Saturday, February 19, 2022

Some complications...

So, as I thought about it more, I realized very quickly that my initial plans are very unrealistic for this project.

In my excitement to create something "deep" that "sheds light on a dark subject that needs to be addressed," I forgot that I not only have a miniscule 2 minutes to use for my film, but it also needs to be a film opening...meaning barely any plot or plot development. My goal has changed from showing important subjects to me as a creator to just making something that will leave viewers wanting more.

Abuse in relationships has always been a topic that I feel very passionate about. When this project was first assigned, I had the clear idea of what I wanted to create in my head: I wanted to portray the anxiety you feel being entangled with a toxic individual and how it impacts day to day life. I wanted to show my main character nervous and uncomfortable, and include voiceover of them narrating on the time before "things changed." I would have had their voice be very nonchalant, a complete juxtaposition from the worried mess of the current portrayal of the character. The narration of implying that something big changes would be to invoke interest in the viewer, but now I understand that this is why too hard for someone with my skill set and available materials. Even as someone with personal experience with this situation, I don't even trust my own acting ability to truly convey the emotions behind going through something of this weight.

So, now I am leaning more towards a simpler topic, perhaps something to do with my creative interests. I would like to do my opening maybe on showing a character creating a poem or a song for a love interest, as this combines two of my favorite interest: love and art. The film would probably still include voiceover, but this time alluding to how things go at the time of the confession of the final product as a way to invoke interest, and hinting at something much more humorous and intriguing.

As I figure more out, I'll keep you posted. 

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

My documentary package, Courageous Creativity, focuses on queer artists. I did a lot of research in and out of class in order to create my p...