Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Introduction to the Characters!

Introducing: the main characters!

CELIA ROSE:

The first character is Celia Rose, aka Cee. I chose this name because it means “heavenly” and I thought it would be a good juxtaposition to her true character, which is quite emotionally immature and toxic. Also, Rose would be a good representation that she is a red-themed character. She is a white teenage girl with dark hair and eyes, a thin body, and of average height. She is confident and humorous, with a tendency to take jokes too far. She is not the main character, but the leading antagonist. She has the most lines in the film because the actress that plays her is more well versed than my main character’s actor. For her wardrobe, I want to use an array of darker colors, such as red and black, which represent her anger, passion, emotion, and immorality. There is going to be a pop of color of the necklace she wears (yellow) which represents that she is a danger to those around her due to her insecure tendencies to lash out. Her hair will be curly and wild, like her carefree personality, and her makeup will be subtle yet intense, with noticeable lipstick and eyeliner. 

PORTRAIT


COLOR PALETTE:

Here is this character’s color palette.




PLAYLIST

Here are some songs that remind me of this character.

Girl That You Love - Panic! At The Disco
Significance: The lyrics (such as “drown every sense you own, for the girl that you love, girl you loath”) symbolize that she is very good at being manipulative, so much so that even when others know she is being toxic, they do not care as long as she stays in their life.

Pity Party - Melanie Martinez
Significance: The lyrics (such as “maybe it's a cruel joke on me, whatever, whatever”) show that she is very self-pitying, even in situations where she should be sympathetic towards others. She is self-centered and has difficulty seeing past her own emotions, leading to her being inconsiderate. 

Borderline - Tame Impala
Significance: The lyrics (such as “gone a little far this time with something, how was I to know?”) represent the situation that she gets herself into in the opening, where she snaps and screams at Ethan for writing a suicide note. Although she knows she went too far, she still does not feel remorse.

Cherry Wine - grentperez
Significance: The lyrics (such as “why don't we move over to that empty space? i'll bet you twenty bucks i'll put a smile on your face”) shows the side of her that is appealing, explaining why people put up with her manipulative personality: she is fun and bubbly.

Witchy Woman - Eagles
Significance: The lyrics (such as “raven hair and ruby lips, sparks fly from her fingertips”) remind me a lot of the character and how I envision her to be. 

Needs - Verzache
Significance: The lyrics (such as “control yourself, I can tell that you don't love nobody but yourself”) remind me of her apathy toward Ethan and her inability to think of what he may have been going through while writing the letter.

Homemade Dynamite - Lorde
Significance: The lyrics (such as “I think that you might be the same as me, behave abnormally”) convey that Celia has created a somewhat idealized image of Ethan in her head, and is shocked to find that he has traits that do not align with her version of him she created in her head.


ETHAN NEELU:

The protagonist of my short film is named Ethan Neelu. I chose this name because the first name, Ethan, means “hidden strength” which I thought represented the character pretty well. Ethan is pretty soft spoken but has the ability to defend himself buried deep down. The name “Neelu” means a depressing, dark colored blue, which I also thought fit the character pretty well, as I picture him being a blue-themed character. This is a juxtaposition from Celia. He is a mixed race teenage boy with dark hair and eyes, average build, and tall stature. He is quiet and reserved, with a tendency to keep his thoughts to himself. I want his personality throughout the film to be generally kept contained, until the very end of the scene where he snaps at Celia. For his wardrobe, I want to use neutral, darker colors, such as gray, with dark blues scattered throughout. This represents his sadness and shyness. He will be wearing black accessories and glasses, as black is the color of secrecy. His pop of color will be white, to convey that his intentions are innocent and he is a good person. His hair is going to be curly yet maintained, to show that he has a strong sense of self control. His makeup will not really be noticeable, but broody. 

PORTRAIT


COLOR PALETTE:

Here is this character’s color palette.




PLAYLIST

Here are some songs that remind me of this character.

What Once Was - Her’s
Significance: The lyrics (such as “I was at the point where all I really wanted was someone, and now I'm still hanging on”) represent Ethan’s struggles with depression pretty well, as well as explains why he is still friends with Celia, someone who treats him poorly.

Young - Vacations
Significance: The lyrics (such as “didn't think I'd still be here, just to make things clear”) show that Ethan sometimes does not think straight when he makes certain decisions due to his depression, such as writing the suicide note.

YKWIM? - Yot Club
Significance: The lyrics (such as “it seems like I care too much, when I'm all alone”) convey that Ethan knows he cares more for Celia than she cares for him, and that plays a hand in fueling his depression. 

Dark Red - Steve Lacy
Significance: The lyrics (such as “something bad is 'about to happen to me, I don't know it, but I feel it coming”) represent the character’s uneasiness in the start of the scene when Celia finds the letter. 

Hit Me Where It Hurts - Caroline Polachek
Significance: The lyrics (such as “go on and hit me in the heart, hit me where it hurts”) is a good match for the scene where Ethan snaps at Celia for her toxic reaction to finding the note. 

New Person, Same Old Mistakes - Tame Impala
Significance: The lyrics (such as “I can just hear them now: how could you let us down?" represent his anxiety about what Celia thinks of him, even in situations where he should be putting himself first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

My documentary package, Courageous Creativity, focuses on queer artists. I did a lot of research in and out of class in order to create my p...